TUESDAY TALES - HARD, ROUGH & DIRTY

Monday

This week we have a trilogy of words to be used together. I cheated a little, but I did use them all. Here is another episode of ECHOES OF THE HEART. Last time we were in Cliff's law office when a picture of Dale from high school fell out of his wallet. Dale's son, Joe, picked it up and questioned Cliff, who didn't have an answer. We're still there and Joe repeats the question:
ECHOES OF THE HEART


Cliff tried to turn away from Joe’s stare, but the young man pulled on his arm. 
“Tell me. Why do you have my mother’s picture in your wallet?”
“We went to high school together.”
“Look, I’m not stupid. You don’t keep a girl’s picture in your wallet for twenty-five years because you went to high school together.”
“This is hard enough for me. You’re rough around the edges, Joe. Don’t make something dirty out of this. We were…friends.”
“Were you in love with my mother?”
Words caught in Cliff’s throat. What could he say? Rather than lie, he simply looked away.
“God! You’re not my real father, are you?” Joe’s eyes grew wide.
“Hell no! I’m not your real father. I assume your mother’s husband is your real father.”
“Was.”
“Oh, sorry. Was.”
“I’ll ask my mother. She’s not afraid to tell me the truth.” Joe stormed out of the office. Cliff knew he should warn Dale. Tell her about hurricane Joe headed her way. But the sound of her voice brought back painful memories and stirred up dormant feelings, feelings he didn’t want to feel.
Dammit! When am I going to stop carrying a torch for the woman who dumped me? He picked up a drinking glass and rifled it at the wall. The sharp sound of breaking glass jarred him. His anger dissipated. He picked up the phone.
“Dale? Cliff. I’m sorry to tell you, but Joe’s on his way to your place madder than hell.” 
“Why?” 
“It’s my fault. A picture of you fell out of my wallet and…” 
“You have a picture of me in your wallet?” 
“I wanted to warn you, so you wouldn’t be caught off guard. Goodbye.” He hung up, sat back in his chair and stared out the window.
Thanks for stopping by. 
BACK TO TUESDAY TALES
My WEBSITE
 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Popular Posts